Thursday 2 July 2015

I divorced my phone for a week...

Hi  sorry for the silent treatment have you ever really really really really wanted something. Wished on every star and missed every crack in the pavement? Blown out on every dandelion you've come across?

   Wanting something is really easy, but what happens if you get the thing you want. You reach your goal? What if it wasn't quite what you wanted or imagined it to be... I think as people and as a person myself (I know how descriptive of me) we invest a lot of our own happiness in obtaining things. Whether it be a job, a partner or personal goal. Sometimes we can be too busy investing our time in things like these which may have a bitter sweet taste. It's not at all bad to have goals but I know personally my expectations of people and experiences are high, and telling myself to "lower my expectations" is much easier said than done especially when every time i check facebook I see peoples 'perfect lives' and think why isn't mine like that?
     Isn't it time we focused on our more inward goals than outward? Stop worrying about the Facebook life and start thinking about what goes on behind the little screen? Because I believe it is I set myself these goals and look outwards rather than inwards because thats what social media rate as 'important goals' how many selfies with my hot date, me filling in where I work on facebook with pride wanting to show off.... Sharing all my news and me at different events, clearly not making the most as I still somehow find time to post a photo, right?!
   Now it's very easy for me to dictate how shallow and bad this is and I hold my hands up and admit I am a hypocrite. But I thought I'd try life without it, and at least give my thumbs a break from scrolling... Trail separation from my phone for one whole WEEK.

Day 1- This was totally fine, my hands did feel weird not constantly checking facebook, instagram and twitter to see what the gossip was. But actually felt pretty good, and nice to say "Oh no i didn't bring my phone with me... Wanted to enjoy the experience without seeing it through a screen (I was at a festival)" Apart from the occasional want to post a selfie or to check twitter I held up, almost rolling my eyes at the people on there phones pitying their need to communicate with those not directly in front of them.

Day 2- God people on their phones are rude. Like hello I'm right here stop stalking Kim Kardashian and look me in the eyes when I talk to you, whatever happened to conversation clearly it's a dying art. I feel good having risen above it sitting in the sun shine not getting neck ache as a enjoy the atmosphere around me. I try telling my friends how much more liberated I feel from the Facebook chain their reply:
Day 3 -  Still feeling good, wondering how many messages I'll recieve when i get home does make me smile but that's not the point. It's like breaking up with an ex with the idea of returning to them in a week... Not the right idea. To top things off I'm missing all these secrets acts for the festival leaked on to twitter so having to find out off other people, but since my hands do not hold the phone this doesn't count right? RIGHT?...

Day 4 - I wonder what my followers are thinking? Maybe should tweet to show I'm alive.. NO resist. The Facebook claws are in deep and as soon as I thought their grip was loosening the crept up on me and squeezed tighter (uh-oh)

Day 5 - I caved, DON'T LOOK AT ME LIKE THAT! I wanted to talk to people that weren't the same three I'd been spending the last 5 days with pretty much 24/7... On my knees I begged for my friends phone she smirked and passed it to me. The lightness of it's touch and familiar feeling of typing was nothing short of ecstasy. Man it felt good i could see the steam rising off my thumbs. Now was not the right time to admit I had a problem.

The other two days were much the same, but I realised something. I didn't need to be separated from my phone 24/7 for ever, I just needed to give it some space sometimes. Stop filming the gig and actually watch it, (Also who films a gig, do you intend to watch it later? Is the gig itself not a good time for you to actually watch it? Someone explain please.)

I have to separate myself from Facebook world, if people have time to upload every waking minute of their lives to snapchat/facebook/twitter are the enjoying it. I don't know about you but the best days are the ones I have no photographic or written evidence of, because I was too busy enjoying it. This just reminds me to take everything i see with a pinch of salt, if you've got time to upload then you're clearly not making the most! Let me know your thoughts you lil humbugs, keep smiling and for gods sake put down your phone and talk to someone ;)
                                                                                                 M x



No comments:

Post a Comment